I'm really not certain how I am supposed to be feeling on the eve of a potential Supreme Court decision which could prove to be another defining moment of this generation.
Since the bloodletting of the Stonewall Uprising of the sixties, there has been a formidable wave of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people who simply refuse to allow bigotry to continue.
Sometimes silently and tearfully--- other times loudly and intensely, the battle for simple human rights, as guaranteed under the constitution, has barreled along. Losing soldiers on a daily basis, among the HIV/AIDS fighters, the older gays and lesbians who couldn't even be permitted to go to a senior citizens' home with their life-mate? The young LGBT kids who have said "Fuck you! I want my equal rights!" And the straight allies and supporters of equality for everyone. Period.
Some people are too pathetic and manipulative for their own good. Though their CEO got PAAAAAAAID!!!!!
They are planning a protest at their "March for Marriage".
PEOPLE! Snap OUT of it! Whether this week or a decade from now, you. cannot. stop the tide of equality with a picket sign and a fancy BUS!
"There's a storm gathering!" In it's wake? "The Freedom Train"!
So what will it all MEAN, this unabashed fairness!?
- Well, first of all, EVERY HUMAN MALE IS GOING TO TURN GAY... INSTANTLY, and irreversibly!
- There are going to be gays everywhere you look... hither and yon! Wait... they already are.
- Then EVERY blighted neighborhood in the country is going to be GAYNtrified.
- THEN, straight people are going to STOP getting married. They're going to STOP being fruitful, AND multiplying.
- The moon is going to fall from its orbit and crush the planet in protest.
- "Real men" WILL eat QUICHE!
- Football games are going to me a LOT more, ummm... STIMULATING, with all the SUDDENLY INCREASED BUTT SLAPPING and unquenchable lust for man-love!
- EVERYONE is going to RUN out buy a leather harness and sling!
- And they will all start watching GLEE!
So, seriously, what will it mean?
- It will mean that LGBT people can make critical, life or death decisions for the person they gave their heart to. AND for their families.
- Their children will no longer have to feel like an alien, and be the targets of ignorant, evil bullying, violence and torment.
- More than a thousand rights, responsibilities and privileges, currently and historically enjoyed by straight people, will now be equally enforced and shared.
- LGBT people, who pay taxes like everyone else, will FINALLY be recognized, and protected, under the law.
- It will mean that, under no circumstances, will it EVER be thought that "separate and unequal" is an acceptable human condition.
I've been noticing something. When IIIIIIIIII was a kid, the word "GAY" was barely spoken. And by high school, "the F word" was all the rage.
As I've been streaming CNN all day, as I ALWAYS do in the office, all i'm hearing is "GAY""GAY""GAY""GAY""GAY""GAY""GAY"!!!!
and, then, with a side of "GAY"!!!!!
Could it really be that this is the final resting place of the debate on human and equal rights concerning marriage equality? Could The Supremes (SCOTUS) kill this hornet once and for all?
Is it just me, or do you feel it too? Are the times REALLY a-changin' for the equality of EVERYONE, In my LIFETIME????
It is, most certainly, time to. Long overdue! We don't get to oppress people, or squelch their rights... because we don't like them, or whom they love. Nope.