"Tears in Aurora"
- James Eagen Holmes, Alleged Mass Murderer, Aurora, Colorado. Batman movie premiere killer. 7-20-12
"Tears in Aurora"
- "A date night. A family outing. An escape from a meaningless, pointless argument... a first kiss, eagerly awaited.
A special treat for throwing the winning pitch, or swimming the fastest lap, or an "A" in summer school. Returning from a deployment--- home on leave--- reuniting with loved ones? A dreadful reward for sacrifices made, bravely, for your country.
Trying to keep the marriage alive. Hanging out with friends. Girl's night out? And, now, this--- just as the wounded, twisted, battered Columbine blossoms had, finally, retaken root and begun to, thickly, bloom.
There are so many reasons why people were there at midnight, into this morning. So many reasons for the anticipation and excitement, yet what was the shooter's reason for his inconceivable crime? What was wrong with James Holmes? Not yet twenty-five; for whom life had barely begun--- yet which, it appears, he felt was devoid of value or hope or dreams. What was the straw that broke this young man's back? What would have made him throw it all away? What would have fueled his distant and, shockingly, well thought-out plan?
- Who, or what, broke James Eagen Holmes? What turns a good man bad? What leads a man to attempt to slaughter seventy human beings? And to take the dearest dozen?
- A man, even while only young, possessed of a Sociological Imagination**, were he sane, could not have possibly committed such a heinous rampage! For even while in the midst of his personal troubles, he surely would have recognized that his personal troubles did not outweigh the common good of the Social Issues or the social structure. But this imagination he, obviously, lacked because, judging by his acts, he felt entirely trapped and hopeless. Or was he completely insane?
...And, what of, the precious ones that died today... what would have been their fates, had the troubled man overslept, or had too much to drink? Is there a President, or a surgeon or a pageant queen among them? The world will never know. Say their names! Pronounce the names of the dead, in your loudest voice, so that their identities can ascend to the heavens and find themselves. We must say their names! The futility and wastefulness of their lives, too soon, halted! Shout their names so the Lord's Angels can swiftly fly in, and gather them up!
No more tears for Colorado. Not now, even as the ashes and embers of the wildfires are finally threatening no more. Colorado has wept since the extermination of The Cheyenne people at Sand Creek in 1864. The sting of Columbine's grief still wrenches and sickens the soul. And yesterday's immolation, which displaced so many from their homes. And today...? Today. How much more can one place be expected to endure?
His tools of murder were legally procured. The protocols, reportedly, followed. So how in the hell does this happen?
"Guns don't kill people! People kill people!" the anti-gun-control lobby blithely chants among the chorus of lemmings. Yet, if the laws were more stringent, would seventy people, times one-hundred forty-two loved ones, times five-hundred sixty-eight degrees of exponential acquaintance have been brutalized today?
Sing for the fallen, and the survivor, and the perpetrator alike. Sing to comfort the spirits of the dead. Sing, to soothe the aggrieved! Sing to invoke the justice and supreme vengeance and mercy of the Goddess: Aurora! Sing! Sing--- that she will strengthen us in the face of the dreadful, unjustifiable, self-indulgent, treatment-desperate sickness, of the fanciful desperation of the one who walked away.
Twenty minutes turned into seventy lifetimes whose own movies played before the big-screen, and, for some, ended far too soon.
No more tears for Colorado, please. The nation's tears will suffice. Ascend, Aurora, and embrace the lost and pained through, these, their desperate hours."
- Here is a (partial and ongoing) list of confirmed and unconfirmed victims of the Aurora tragedy. The names are coming forth slowly, but I will add the entire list to the post upon release!
Jesse Childress *
Jessica Ghawi *
Micayla Medek *
Bonnie Kate Pourciau
Anggiat M. Situmeang
Prodeo Et Patria
- Farrah Soudani
- Alex Sullivan *
- SOURCE: The Aurora Sentinel
- **: "The Sociological Imagination" (C. Wright Mills, 1959)
- Copyright ©2012, Marcinho Savant · All rights reserved · Alle Rechten Vorbehalten